Saturday, November 19, 2011

Quick Ornaments

I got 8 glass ornaments from the store today. One of them in going to Karen. I'm going to use the rest of them for our future Christmas tree! Now that we have a house we're finally going to have a tree and we're really excited. We don't have a lot of ornaments so I'm trying to bulk them up with ones that aren't all just gross and boring plastic balls. I made two tonight.

I had a whole mess of cool-colored acrylic paints (Thanks Sarah and Justin :-D). I knew that you could make neat swirly nails by floating nail polish on the top of warm water. I hoped that it would work with acrylic paint too.


Unfortunately, I don't generally like to think before I do things and I quickly figured out that it wouldn't work because wet acrylic paint is water soluable.

So I dredge up my not oft-used nail polish. I filled the bowl with warm water, put two colors in a bowl, tied a ribbon to the ornament, and dipped them. You could use more than two colors, but I wanted to keep it simple.




Whole process took maybe 5 minutes. They actually turned out kinda cool looking. They look like swirled glass, but they're a little more textured than that. I'm willing to put it on my tree, at least.




Suggestion: If you try this, have nail polish remover handy and don't use your nice bowls. You can clean them, but I had to use a lot of non-acetone remover to scrub our nice bowls clean :-p.

1 comment: