Monday, January 16, 2012

Completely Unscientific Test of Laundry Detergents

I needed to see if my detergent was working as well as the stuff that I get from the store. I set up a pseudo-scientific study to test it out.

I took 2 pieces of the same type of white, cotton material and stained them with mouthwash, burner gunk, red wine, and ketchup.



I washed one with regular detergent and one with my homemade

*sidestory about the homemade detergent*
Much to my chagrin, by the next morning it had solidified into a gelatinous mass. I mean, when I tipped it on it's side the mold of the handle and spout were sculpted in beautifully. I shook it up to break up the mass and added a tea kettle of boiling water. It's still a little goopy (instead of perfectly smooth) but it works just fine now. I'm certain this is a creator problem and not a problem with the recipe itself.

Anyway, here are the results.

I've excluded the mouthwash from the photos because both detergents took it out no problem.

Burner Gunk
Regular

Homemade  

  Verdict: The regular did a slightly better job. I failed to photograph the "regular" stain beforehand, so I can't be sure, but I think it looks a little lighter. Who knows? Grease can be a little inconsistent.

Red Wine


Regular
Homemade
 Both had a tiny outline where the red wine had been. I think you can see it better on the homemade picture. Neither of the stains are visible when they're not backlit. Verdict: Tie.

Ketchup
Regular


Homemade
 I think there's a clear winner on this one. The regular detergent didn't remove the color as effectively.
Verdict: Homemade.

Other things to consider: Neither piece of cloth smelled the staining item at all after washing. The regular detergent left a light lily smell, while the homemade didn't have a scent at all. I hear you can add a little bit of tea tree oil to fix the "no scent" issue if you need that smell to verify cleanliness.

Guess I'll stick with this detergent for a little while!




No comments:

Post a Comment