Thursday, March 15, 2012

Not the open and shut case I thought it was...

Some questions have been raised about the cabinet pulls project. Is there value in replacing these, or should we leave them as they are?

Reasons to Update
1. Pulls need an update. 70's country kitchen?
2. Collect grime like nobody's business and has a greenish tinge
3.  Have hollow backs so when you touch them you might actually touch the icky insides
4. Will match new stainless appliances better
5. Makes kitchen "ours"/mine

Reasons to keep the same
1. Fit with the style of the cabinets.
2. Work fine
3. Like the fanciness (1/2 people in the household have this opinion... Cat verdict still out)
4. Will cost no money

Alright. I picked up a pull or two at Lowes. I didn't actually try the second one because I like the first one a lot. I tried it on my tester cabinet face so I didn't have to take any other cabinets off and clean them.

Here's what our cabinet fronts look like now:


Here's what they would look like with new pulls. We would, of course, get silvery hinges to match. (Also these photos were obviously taken at two different times of day)




Here's a shot of what our upper cabinets look like. I think that is the cause for some of the reservations about this project.



Oh hai new oven! Oh, right. Cabinets. I think the rounded bottom edges of the pulls will work well with the tops of the cabinet, but Jeremy's not convinced.


Not a great shot of cabinet and appliance, but you get the idea. Opinions welcome.

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of new pulls to freshen things up and I think these would work. But it is a good point that buying hinges & pulls for a whole kitchen can get pricey. ESP since you guys have so many cabinets (jealous). Maybe if you look online you could find a good deal somewhere

    ReplyDelete