Sunday, April 29, 2012

Headboard Happiness

I've wanted to do this for a long time. Jeremy and I don't have a bed (yet), so a headboard would seem excessive. However, my parents are coming to visit next week and I've spent the past few weeks putting together the room for them (including a bed). I now realize that I've yet to post about the stained frame, but I'll get that on the blog in the next week.

Without further ado, here's my headboard project.

We cut a 36" by 60" piece of MDF. Then I measured lines across it every six inches and marked alternating holes at twelve inches.




 Then I took a big piece of foam and glued it to the top of my MDF. Foam is sickeningly expensive, so I skirted that by purchasing the cheapest foam twin bed topper I could find (still $30). It actually ended up being pretty close to the perfect size. With a little trimming it fit nicely on the MDF.


So once I had that done a wrapped my entire board in batting and used a staple gun to secure it to the back. Once that was finished and even, I took my salmon-orange suede-type fabric and wrapped the front of the board. *Aside: I got an amazing deal on my fabric. 50% off at Joann's. It was on clearance already for $9 and I got my three yards at half off that. Then the lady said that she'd give me the rest (2 1/2 yards) for half off that. I ended up getting about 6 yards of reallllllly nice material for $17*

Once the fabric was stapled on I made my fabric covered buttons and started tufting. It wasn't that tough, actually. I threaded the needle, stuck it through the pre-drilled hole, attached the button, and then secured it on the back by wrapping the thread around the nail and tying it to a staple.





This afternoon Jeremy helped me attach the french cleat to the back. We took it upstairs and hung it on the wall!






I'll get a few more glamour shots later this week. I know I haven't posted in a while, though, so I didn't want to keep you from this any longer.

2 comments:

  1. Looks great!! The buttons are awesome, show us how you did them? It's all coming together in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are "craft button kits" at places like Joann's. They have several difference sizes. They're also a little expensive (like $9 for 10 buttons) but I got them 50% off for $4.50 instead. You might want to wait for a sale to pick some up. I've heard they're tough to use with really thick fabric.

    ReplyDelete