Sunday, April 15, 2012

Opposite of Lazy Sunday

My Mom called today. I said "Oh, perfect timing, I just finished building your bed!" Her response to that statement could only be described as "skeptical." I'll let you be the judge.

So, my parents are coming to visit from Colorado in a few weeks. I promised my Dad they'd have a mattress... maybe even a bed. I know that an air mattress wouldn't cut it for them. I could've gone out a bought a bed, but Jeremy and I don't even have a bed (yeah, yeah, I know, we're supposed to be adults). Also, we have an eensy Honda Fit, which can fit some lumber but not that much. In addition I have another project to go with this bed that I'm pretty excited about doing, so I really just needed a frame. Yes, I could've bought a metal queen frame for $60-70, but where is the fun in that?

I started out this morning pretty gung-ho. I burned that energy off cleaning the garage out so I'd have space to work.

Pre-clean



Post-clean.






Okay... onwards to the bed.

I started by measuring all the lumber that was picked up by my husband and wonderful Father-in-Law on Saturday. Kudos to them to dealing with my specific requests.

(Don't worry Mom, I used a legitimate plan to build this bed. I didn't just free-style it)

Then, I had very good intentions have having Jeremy teach me to use the circular saw. He did a few cuts. I tried a few cuts. I think that I wasn't able to hold the saw as straight as Jeremy, so after a few diagonal cuts he took the saw and made the rest of the cuts. Then I took the materials upstairs to assemble the bed.



After some significant struggling, moving back down to the garage and back up again, Jeremy and I assembled the frame. I honestly had every intention of completing this project on my own, but found that two people and boy strength was necessary.

After we had the frame together I (all alone) attached all the slats.


Flipper



Supervisor


Then I made the legs and attached them to the frame.


Here it is! We'll have a mattress on it in no time and it should be good to go (or stay and rest, as the case may be)!






2 comments:

  1. Amazing! Can you build us one with drawers in the base? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive. You two are regular Bob Vilas!

    ReplyDelete