Monday, April 9, 2012

When in Rome

We figure that our May guests may like some window treatments. We took down the curtains all over the house right after we moved in and haven't looked back. Our bathroom faces the backyard... so we've just been banking that there is no one hiding out back there checking us out.

Part of what's been holding us back is the high cost of even semi-stylish window treatments. When I saw this kick-butt tutorial today turning mini-blinds into roman shades I jumped at the chance to try it.

I hopped to the store, picked up some mini-blinds and some fabric and spent about 3 hours total working.










Let's do some quick calculations...

The cheapest of roman shades (even in this small size)= $26 apiece. So, this should've cost $52.

My shades?
$3.00 fabric
2 mini blinds at $2.87 each
1 roll of ironable hem tape (no sew) $1.97

$10.71 total. Yeah... that's like getting them for 80% off... and I got to pick the exact fabric I wanted for the shade.



1 comment:

  1. Nice! I like the shades AND the price. I admit I've never bought shades but where'd you find $3 shades??

    ReplyDelete