Friday, July 27, 2012

Broccoli and Cheese Soup Rant

Good gracious. They let anybody have a blog these days, namely me. Today I'm using mine to rant about how many calories are in broccoli and cheese soup.

I've been being a much more vigilant house manager lately. I am actually paying attention to how much we're spending on groceries. Usually we wander around and pick up whatever we want. Since I was appalled by how much we're spending on groceries per month, I started planning out our meals and ONLY getting what is on the list. We've been doing very well so far and I haven't had to run back to the store for something we left out yet (I'm sure this week will be the week).  We've also reduced our grocery bill by about $150 a month. Pretty sweet.

Planning out meals has been pretty good. I like to look at the sales and kick around pinterest for ideas. I am planning some broccoli and cheese soup for Tuesday. I came across this first recipe for copycat Panera B&C Soup. I was happily writing down the few ingredients I needed to get when I saw THIS in the corner...


...and was subsequently horrified.

I understand cheese ups the calories etc, but I wasn't expecting those gargantuan numbers. 151% of saturated fat? 70% of my daily fat?! 630 calories?! If I wanted something with that many calories I would NOT be eating anything with a vegetable in it, I'll tell you that.

The second recipe gave me much more piece of mind. It doesn't look watery like a lot of the other "healthy" options that I searched. Here's how the nutrition facts for this one work out.


It is possible that the serving size for Panera is larger, but it's difficult to tell the way they label their recipe. So I can feel like I made a WAY healthier choice I choose to believe they're the same serving size.

1 comment:

  1. You should look at thisweekfordinner.com. She plans her meals every week and has a great recipe archive of fairly healthy recipes

    ReplyDelete