Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Scotch Blue Edge Lock vs. Frogtape: The story of a clear winner

After finishing roll three of my frogtape I had to hop out to get more. Lowe's is closer than Home Depot, so I stopped there. Unfortunately, they had no 2 inch frogtape, so I opted to try out Scotch Blue  Edge Lock tape instead.


Frogtape Jellyfish


Scotch Blue Jellyfish

Here's how they measured up:

Stickiness- Winner Scotch Blue
FT- When the sticky side touches the other part of the sticky side you can't pull them apart. Consider that a wasted piece of tape.
SB-Will pull apart, even sticky side to sticky side.

Ease of Readjustment-Winner Frogtape
FT- Can readjust a thousand times (obv. an exaggeration) which is excellent when you're doing a temperamental herringbone pattern.
SB- Readjustable, but after 1 movement slightly less stick. May cause later peeling at the edges

Ease of Removal Post Painting- Winner Frogtape
I had some issues with removal because of my pattern. I couldn't grab an edge that wasn't near paint, so I had to sacrifice my fingernails to gently pull up the edge.
FT- If you let the paint dry you could pry up the edge and, because of the weight of the tape, pull gently and let it crumple up--making it much easier to pull off.
SB- You could sort of use the same method as the frogtape, but the tap was much lighter, so it didn't crumple as easily and was therefore more difficult to pull off.


Adhesion- Winner Frogtape
FT- No peeling, just had to re-smooth after my 11 day hiatus.
SB- Edge peeling all over the place! It's supposed to have a 14 day guarantee on adhesion. It'd been 12 at most. When I'd push down on a peeling piece it would not readhere to the wall.

Preventing Paint Bleed- Winner Frogtape
FT- Some paint bleed, but not bad. Usually caused by a fold in the tape when I didn't feel like pulling the strip off and taking out the fold. Mostly nice, clean lines.



SB- Comparatively , much worse. Even when the tape was flat against the wall there was often still bleed. I was glad that I only used it in the corner of the room that's blocked by the door because performance was lacking.





Should I ever embark on a project like this again I will definitely be using FROGTAPE

No comments:

Post a Comment